Most home insurance policies cover personal property, but they often don’t provide enough coverage. That’s why it’s important to have a separate policy that covers your belongings, regardless of whether they’re in your home or not.

In this guide, we’ll go over everything you need to know about property insurance, what it does and does not cover, how to compare quotes from multiple insurers, and more!

An Overview of Property Insurance

Property Insurance is a form of coverage that protects you from financial losses caused by property damage or other losses related to your personal property.

Property insurance covers the items you own, such as clothing, electronics, furniture, houses and vehicles.

If you have a home that’s not rented out to others, it’s often referred to as homeowners insurance or residential coverage.

Homeowners insurance provides coverage for things like damage caused by fire, burglary, theft, vandalism, windstorms and more. It also covers liability protection for accidents that occur on your property such as slip-and-fall injuries in your yard or someone falling down the stairs inside your house.

If you rent an apartment in someone else’s house, the landlord usually pays for building structure repairs while renters are responsible for their belongings (and any damage they cause).

Personal Property Insurance

Personal property insurance is a policy that covers your personal belongings in the event that they are lost or damaged.

Depending on the type of coverage, this can include jewellery, artworks and antiques, clothing and accessories. The coverage also typically extends to items such as computers, televisions and other electronic devices as well as tools.

Personal property insurance may be provided through an insurer or by a landlord via their own policy.

In addition to covering the cost of replacing damaged or missing items with new ones, personal property policies also pay for repairs or replacement costs if your belongings cannot be fixed. This can help you avoid having to replace expensive items entirely if they have been damaged beyond repair by a covered peril (such as a fire).

Benefits of Personal Property Insurance

Having some form of coverage against loss due to theft or damage makes sense for many homeowners because it will protect them against financial hardship should a disaster strike their homes.

It’s also worth considering whether you require additional coverages such as extended warranties. This helps reduce costs associated with repairing broken appliances after they’ve been replaced under warranty but need replacing again (and again).

At Leadway Assurance, we have different Personal Property Insurance plans to suit everyone’s pocket and needs. The cost of coverage depends on several factors including the type of plan, the kind of property, the extent of cover, the sum insured, etc.

To find out more about these factors, request a callback from us.

Commercial Property Insurance

Commercial property insurance is a form of business insurance that covers businesses, offices, and other commercial properties.

While it is similar to personal property insurance, commercial property insurance also covers buildings and other structures.

Commercial property insurance is more expensive than personal property because the coverage extends beyond just your belongings to include the structure in which they are housed.

An example of this would be if your store was burglarized—your business would not only need to cover lost inventory or cash register money stolen from the robbery but could also receive compensation for damages resulting from broken windows and doors as well as destruction caused by smoke or fire.

What Affects Your Property Insurance Premium?

A property insurance premium is a price that one pays to an insurance company for the coverage of a property.

The amount you pay for your premium depends on several factors, such as:

  • The value of your property: Generally speaking, the more valuable your house and the items within it are, the higher you’ll pay in premiums. This is because it costs more to replace or repair if something happens to them than if something happens to a cheaper home.
  • Location: Where you live affects how likely it is that someone will break into or damage your home. If you live in a neighborhood with a history of lots of crime, then this would definitely increase the likelihood/risk factor versus someone living in a suburb where everyone quietly just goes about their daily lives. The same applies to if you stay in a naturally disaster-prone area.

What Does Property Insurance Cover?

  • Property insurance covers your home and other structures, plus the contents of your home.
  • It also covers liability if someone is injured or something is damaged while on your property.
  • Property insurance will pay to repair or replace damaged items and make sure you’re financially protected in case someone sues you after they were hurt at your house.
  • It can help restore business income too — whether it’s lost through damage to the property itself or because employees are unable to work due to an emergency situation such as fire, flood or theft.  
  • Property insurance also covers some of your legal costs and medical bills, depending on the situation. For instance, if someone slips in your driveway and injures themselves, then property insurance will pay up to a certain amount for that person’s medical expenses. If they sue you over their injury (and win), property insurance may cover some or all of their legal fees as well.

What is a property insurer?

A property insurer is a company that provides property insurance, which covers your building and its contents. The insurer is responsible for paying the policyholder’s property claims, liability claims, and personal injury claims if something happens to the insured’s property or someone else on their premises.


If you are looking for property insurance, you’re in luck because you’ve found one of Nigeria’s most reliable insurers, with the highest claims payment record in the country. 

For further inquiries, please call us on 01-2800700 or email for professional advice.